Sunday, August 2, 2020

Mental Health and us



I have been thinking to write about mental health issues for many days. But I hesitated to write about it as I am not a professional in it. But today I have decided to express my views on it. I hope you can relate to my words with you.

The issue of mental health is currently in news because of the suicide of emerging actor Sushant Singh Rajput at the young age of 34. He committed suicide on 14th June 2020 due to depression. It is quite unbelievable for us. He was very much successful in his film and television career. So his death has forced us to take the issue of mental health very seriously.



I think there used to be many reasons for depression. The main reasons are financial problems, failure in examination, unemployment, the problem in love life, family problems, etc. A large no. of farmers of our country commits suicide every year as they are unable to repay their loans due to crop failure and other reasons. The cases of suicide are also increasing among youths due to failure in examination, unemployment, and love related reasons.



I first encountered about suicide in the very first month of my hostel life in college. One of our seniors succumbed to death due to suicide as he had many back papers at that time. Again one of our juniors died because she was cheated by her boyfriend. After that, I come to know about many such cases of known people later. All these incidents always made me very sad.



I also went through mental health problems when I was not getting the desired marks and results in my college. But I was fortunate that I was able to beat it due to the constant support of my family and friends without going to the professionals. In this case, my very good friends Swapnil, Ashu, Lokesh, Karunesh, and others had helped me a lot in my hostel life in fighting with anxiety.




As the issue of mental health is rising so I along with a few of my friends have started its awareness program through digital platform. We invite professionals and consultants to take live sessions for needy people. In this case, we are well supported by Kautilya Foundation and Careu365. I will share the link of the live sessions (now recorded) in the comment section.

At last, I request everyone to take care of the mental health of yours and your loved ones seriously. One should always stay in the company of one’s family and friends. You should share your problems and thoughts with them. Even sharing things with someone can help you to reduce anxiety. Yoga and physical exercises are very much useful in keeping our mind mentally healthy. And if it’s needed, never hesitate to take help from the professionals.   

No comments:

Post a Comment